17. Nobody special : ORDINARY JOE.
24. Nobody special : MAN IN THE STREET.
52. Nobody special : AVERAGE CITIZEN.
61. Nobody special : JOHN Q. PUBLIC.
This is a pangram, a puzzle that uses every letter of the alphabet at least once. I have had the pleasure of blogging several of Jeffrey's puzzles, and this is the second one this month.
I liked the conversational feeling with phrases like WE HAD TO and OH, THAT ONE. Then we are AT THE GAME with an OPEN NET. Other nice sparkly fill like VROOM, YAMMER and ZELIG rounded out my enjoyment at solving this one.
Now lets fill in the rest of the blanks.
1. __ comedy : BLACK.
6. First vice president : ADAMS.
11. Tar's direction : AFT.
14. Hike : RAISE.
15. Not adept in : BAD AT.
16. Prefix with state : TRI.
19. No. that may have an ext. : TEL.ephone.
20. Lab subjects : OVA.
21. Arrest : NAB.
22. Mrs. Robert F. Kennedy : ETHEL.
29. "They made us!" : WE HAD TO.
30. "Bring on the weekend!" : TGIF. Thank goodness, it's Friday.
32. Edna Ferber novel : SO BIG. Her 1924 Pulitzer Prize winner.
35. 24-hr. news source : MSNBC.
37. Cartoon monkey : ABU. The kleptomaniac scamp in "Aladdin."
38. Museum supporter, familiarly : THE NEA. National Endowment for the Arts.
40. Complain : YAMMER. Not me!
42. Heathrow approx. : ETD. Estimated Time of Departure.
43. Speeding sound : VROOM.
47. Waist-reduction plans : DIETS.
48. Sharpen : WHET.
50. Stuck on a stick : IMPALED. Vlad, where are you when we need kabobs?
57. City northeast of Colgate University : UTICA.
58. '60s hot spot : NAM.
59. Yalie : ELI.
60. Superdome city's Amtrak code : NOL. New Orleans.
66. Suffix with alp : INE.
67. Parting word : ADIEU.
68. Commandeer : SEIZE.
69. Selected on a questionnaire, with "in" : X'ed.
70. Cinque plus due : SETTE. Five plus two = seven (Italian).
71. "Enigma Variations" composer : ELGAR. For our musical interlude this morning, we have the complete version. 10:13.
1. Halloween carrier? : BROOM. Haha, had me fooled for a while!
2. Grub or chigger : LARVA.
3. Quinn of "Elementary" : AIDAN.
4. Emmy-winning forensic series : CSI.
5. "Women in Love" director Russell : KEN.
6. Father of Isaac : ABRAHAM.
7. They're handy for overnight stays : DAY BEDS.
8. Small, medium or lge. : ADJ.ective.
9. "A revolution is not a dinner party" statesman : MAO.
10. Guide : STEER.
11. Enjoying a Jazz performance? : AT THE GAME. In Utah. Basketball.
12. Organization that supports the Dalai Lama : FREE TIBET. Very interesting to see this entry so close to MAO.
13. Money drawer : TILL.
18. Lit. compilation : ANTH.ology.
23. Asian holiday : TET.
25. Victory cry : I WIN!
26. Much of Israel : NEGEV. While looking for an image of the NEGEV desert, I stumbled on this interesting one.
27. Place to get off: Abbr. : STN. RR station.
28. Jones who plays the announcer in "The Hunger Games" : TOBY. I still have not seen the movie or read the trilogy.
31. Apparel sometimes protested : FURS.
32. Chicken paprikash, e.g. : STEW. Hungarian paprikás csirke, or paprika chicken.
33. "Hmm ... I was thinking of something else" : OH THAT ONE.
34. Tormented, as with doubt : BEDEVILED.
36. West Pointer : CADET.
39. Spotlit number, perhaps : ARIA.
41. Dress length : MIDI. Maxi, mini or midi - I always need perps to decide.
44. Texting exclamation : OMG. Oh…my…god.
45. Good scoring opportunity, in hockey : OPEN NET.
46. Rhesus monkey, e.g. : MACAQUE. Did you spell it right the first time?
49. Gumshoe : TEC.
51. Sagging : LIMP.
53. South Asian rulers : RAJAS.
54. Woody Allen mockumentary : ZELIG. I just don't get his humor.
55. "My Fair Lady" lady : ELIZA.
56. Sweeter, in a way : NICER.
57. Windows alternative : UNIX. Because "Mavericks" wouldn't fit.
62. Pindar product : ODE.
63. Parade member? : HIT. Fun misdirection!
64. Put into operation : USE.
65. __ canto : BEL. Italian for "beautiful singing."
That's all for now!