Theme: A Royal Monday - I'll forgo the pictures because some don't like that first one.
17A. Vietnam War chopper : COBRA HELICOPTER. King Cobra
24A. Supernova named for its apparent resemblance to a crustacean : CRAB NEBULA. King Crab
40A. Publisher with an Antarctic bird logo : PENGUIN CLASSICS. King Penguin
50A. Shade similar to coral : SALMON PINK. King Salmon
60A. Lion, and a hint to critters that begin 17-, 24-, 40- and 50-Across : KING OF THE BEASTS
Argyle here. A lot of themeage for a Monday; three grid spanners, wow! Plus, it appears to be a debut for Roger Wienberg.
1. Address for a Southern belle : MA'AM
5. California wine county : NAPA
9. Chip-in at a doc's office : CO-PAY
14. __ mater : ALMA
15. Preschool basics : ABCs
16. Where to hear high C's : OPERA
20. Measuring stick : RULER
21. Sigh of delight : "AAH!"
22. Atlanta-based news channel : CNN
23. Reverent poem : ODE
29. Caesar's "vidi" : "I SAW". (veni, vidi, vici/I came, I saw, I conquered)
30. Pierre's "Done!" : "FINI!"
31. "Scram, cat!" : "SCAT!". I said, "It can't be SCAT" and yet....
34. Bounty alternative : VIVA. Paper towels.
37. Knife hyped on infomercials : GINSU. No Z.
43. Arrive by corporate jet : FLY IN
44. Sandstorm residue : GRIT
45. Eight, en español : OCHO
46. Pharmaceutical product : DRUG
48. Blessing : BOON
53. "Then what happened?" : "AND?
56. Cunning : SLY
57. Fleur-de-__ : LIS
58. Magazine copy : ISSUE
65. "Too rich for my blood" : "I'M OUT!". Poker, when the bet is too high.
66. Ecstatic review : RAVE
67. Dispense, with "out" : METE
68. Pond critters : NEWTs. The juvenile is called an eft. Both are crossword staples.
69. Was in debt : OWED
70. River of Hades : STYX
1. Close-up lens : MACRO
2. Not whispered : ALOUD
3. Walk leisurely : AMBLE
4. Mature filly : MARE
5. "Not for me" : "NAH"
6. President in a stovepipe hat, familiarly : ABE
7. Techie training site : PC LAB
8. Himalayan, e.g. : ASIAN
9. Murmur lovingly : COO
10. Like across and down: Abbr. : OPP. (opposite)
11. Place for animal vaccinations : PET CLINIC
12. Competition setting : ARENA
13. Entertaining story : YARN
18. Parts of circles : ARCs
19. "Hell's Kitchen" contestant : CHEF
25. Sitarist Shankar : RAVI
26. Bowling over : AWING
27. Major leagues, in baseball slang : BIGS
28. What singers sing in when they don't harmonize : UNISON
29. Trendsetting socialite : IT GIRL
31. Sunblock letters : SPF. (sun protection factor)
32. Cartoon frame : CEL
33. Words said with impatience : ANY DAY NOW
35. DVD predecessor : VCR
36. Suspect's need : ALIBI
38. Org. with .edu addresses : SCH. (school)
39. Support gp. for troops : USO. (United Service Organizations)
41. E pluribus __ : UNUM
42. Like __ of bricks : ATON
47. Game often involving a cart : GOLF
49. Dust Bowl refugee : OKIE
50. "Ghostbusters" goo : SLIME
51. The "N" in TNT : NITRO
52. "Fiddle-faddle!" : "PSHAW!"
53. Balance sheet item : ASSET
54. Off-the-wall : NUTTY
55. Spay or neuter : DESEX
56. Tattooist's surface : SKIN
59. Wal-Mart warehouse club : SAM'S
61. Belly : GUT
62. Extra-play qtrs. : OTs. (overtime)
63. Time for last-minute Christmas wrapping : EVE. Almost!
64. Stream bottom : BED
Note from C.C.:
Today we celebrate the 70th birthday of our sweet Misty! On and off the blog, she's gentle and caring. "Gimme a break" for some unfair clues is the harshest thing she's ever said on this blog.
|Misty and her husband Rowland|