Theme: ?, ?, ?, ?, and ? - The five things a reporter should report.
17A. *"Never!": "WHEN PIGS FLY!"
37A. *"Not another problem!": "WHAT NOW?!"
58A. *"I don't need a second opinion!": "WHO ASKED YOU?!"
11D. *"Happenin' scene, man!": "WHERE IT'S AT!"
28D. *"Cool your heels!": "WHY THE RUSH?!"
46D. Journalism's traditional set of questions, obliquely addressed by the answers to starred clues: FIVE "W"s
Who? Argyle. When? Tuesday. What? A nifty puzzle. Where? On the Corner. Why? Because YellowRocks wanted a John Lampkin puzzle yesterday.
1. Hebrew scholar: RABBI. A teacher, sometimes; a scholar, always.
6. Borden spokescow: ELSIE
11. With 25-Across, "Scream" director: WES. 25-Across. See 11-Across: CRAVEN
14. Watery expanse: OCEAN
15. Double-check, as totals: RE ADD
16. Shakespearean prince or Broadway producer Prince: HAL. Prince Hal, later to be King Henry, in Henry IV, Part 1, is portrayed as an irresponsible, fun-loving youth, Prince of Wales. or, Harold Prince, his IMBd.
19. Incoming flight info: ETA
20. Flower parts: SEPALS. Ah! The petals trap.
21. Visit: SEE
22. Fedora feature: BRIM
23. Valley with wine cellars and sellers: NAPA
27. Rock gently: SWAY
29. "Is this a good move for me?": "SHOULD I?"
31. Folk singer Phil: OCHS
32. Steeped beverage: TEA
33. Become a pro at: MASTER
36. After "no," "Not possible!": WAY. (No way!)
39. State: SAY
40. Appetizer follower: ENTRÉE
42. That woman: HER
43. Tortoise racer: HARE
44. Carpenter's cordless cutter: HAND SAW
46. Temper tantrums: FITS
47. Tank type: SEPTIC. If you're a home owner, this might be the first tank you'd think of.
48. Mix: STIR
50. Jelly holders: JARS
51. Turf roll: SOD
53. Olympic segments: EVENTS. Timely.
57. Outback bird: EMU
60. Sit-up targets: ABs. Me? 63A. "Nope": "NAH"
61. Sporty Chevy: VETTE
62. Angler's danglers: WORMS
64. Portfolio part: ASSET
65. Snooty sorts: SNOBS
1. Lettered theater locations: ROWS
2. Post-workout soreness: ACHE. Me? 63A. "Nope": "NAH"
3. Warning toot: [BEEP!]
4. Fruit that grows in bunches: BANANAs
5. Like catchable foul balls: IN PLAY. Soon.
6. Physicist's work unit: ERG
7. Not so pricey: LESS
8. Seattle's __ Field: SAFECO. Since the Inaugural Game on July 15, 1999, Safeco Field has been the home of the Seattle Mariners.
9. Unsubstantiated bit of gossip: IDLE RUMOR
10. Ice cream maker Joseph: EDY
12. Enjoy home cooking: EAT IN. 32-Down. Things to "do" after you 12-Down: THE DISHES. Me? 63A. "Nope": "NAH"
13. Shut angrily: SLAM
18. Web access co.: ISP. (Internet Service Provider)
22. Brief briefs?: BVDs. Founded in 1876. Wikipedia
24. On the water: ASEA
26. "There oughta be __!": A LAW
27. Read quickly: SCAN
30. Yoga system: HATHA. Moi? 63A. "Nope": "NAH"
31. Be in debt: OWE
34. Glasses holders: EARS
35. Pumpernickel grain: RYE
37. Took one's turn: WENT
38. Latest buzz: NEWS
41. Knocks quickly: RAPS
43. Joined the staff: HIRED ON
45. Skedaddles: SCOOTS
47. Brazilian dance: SAMBA. Not a boot scootin' boogie(3:20)
49. "__War": Shatner novel: TEK
50. Novelist Auel: JEAN
52. Time stamp component: DATE
54. "Stoned Soul Picnic" songwriter Laura: NYRO
55. Archaeological site: TOMB
56. Figure (out): SUSS
59. Jazz gig unit: SET
Time to scurry and scoot outta here.
Note from C.C.:
Happy Birthday to dear Santa Argyle, who turned 73 today. If I recall correctly, Santa's first comment on our blog is "Ahem...."
Santa just wrote his 836 blog post for us this morning. He was a Marine, and he continues to protect us and this blog like a Marine. He never complained, even when he broke his ankle last summer. It was hard for him to walk from his bedroom to the computer desk to check on our blog.
Hard to believe that I've been talking with him nearly every day for nearly 10 years. Thanks for being here for me, Santa!
|Santa was a fifteen year old and a Freshman (1960)|